Monday, July 5, 2021

 The American Ideal was never about owning human beings. It was never about mass murdering of native groups. Yes, these things happened, and anyone with any common decency in them wishes they had not. I can and do celebrate the things that the best of our thinkers of the day wanted for our country, without forgetting the bad things that were done by those who did not want the Ideal, just the gold. I can cheer for the Red White and Blue without forgetting the black and red people who suffered. I can be glad I live in a land which is still at least nominally free while many others do not. My nation is not perfect, but it is moving in a direction toward better, toward being "a more perfect union." With any luck it will continue to do so, long after I'm gone. So, unlike too many on this day, I still say "Three Cheers for the Red White and Blue." You mean more than just explosives, charred meat and beer. You mean Equality under the Law, Liberty and Justice for ALL. Maybe dumb old ideas. I'm dumb and old, and frankly, my time is coming to a close. I hope whoever replaces me remembers to keep the good things while not forgetting the bad ones.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment