Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Belated Obituary for Muhammad Ali.



And another icon of a bygone age has passed . . .



Word has reached me earlier today that Muhammad Ali, born Cassius Clay Jr in 1942, has died, likely of complications due to Parkinson’s disease. He was 74.  I never met Ali, though I did meet his onetime opponent Joe Frazier. Ali, once known for his brash, brassy showmanship and improv poems, later became known for his gentlemanly demeanor and his humble charity. He was a man of his time, but also in ways ahead of his time. While I did not agree with his draft dodging – he should have declared himself a conscientious objector, in my opinion -- His life eclipsed his boxing career. He was a man who lived with Parkinson’s disease, who saw his illness as a challenge to rise to, and a cause to fight for. Unfortunately, not even The Greatest was able to banish Parkinson’s, but he kept at it until the end. His family and closest friends were by his side when he went. My condolences to his family and friends. Goodbye, Champ. You were The Greatest.

== Muhammad Ali: b.1942 d.2016. ==
(note: written while I was offline between June 1st and June 7th. )

No comments:

Post a Comment