Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Things you miss when your Internet is down.

Things you miss when your Internet is down.

As much as I find listicles annoying, I still see the usefulness of them sometimes. So here’s a list of things I have found to be bothersome about not having internet:
·         No Google. No Alta Vista, Webcrawler, Excite or Bing either. You don’t appreciate the usefulness and ubiquity of such things until you haven’t got them.
·         No web resources – no Wikipedia, Snopes, History pages, Smithsonian, New York Times, or even Huffington Post.

·         No communications – No email, IMs, FB, Twitter … I can’t even text on my cell phone because I can’t pay for more airtime.
·         No access to my work product that I oh-so-foolishly stored “in the cloud”. Yeah, you know… who thinks they’re going to lose internet service? I should have.
·         Most of my games now require web access to load properly – even the “offline” games like XCOM and The Sims. XCOM demands Steam be up, and steam won’t come up without a network connection.
·         Of course, no nice diversions, like World of Warcraft , Guild Wars 2, Lord of the Rings Online, and suchlike. 

(post written while I was offline between June 1 and June7 )

No comments:

Post a Comment